Wednesday, January 21, 2009

False Alarm!

The night was January 21st, 1997............



I was 3 days overdue with our first baby....... feeling like a two-ton pick up truck, 36 pounds overweight, crying at anything from Jack and Janet fighting on "Three's Company" to the color of our couch, I was a giant, round-bellied, bawling mess!


Glen suggested we watch a movie to help with our restlessness. It was "Tin Cup" starring Kevin Costner and Rene Russo and that is about all I remember of that movie, all I knew was I needed to have a very large baby and I needed to have it now! I was pretty uncomfortable, cramps coming every 3-4 minutes near the end of the movie...so I just knew IT WAS TIME!! I told Glen, "I think I'm ready, let's go!" So we calmly got our bags, touched up my lipstick, hopped in the truck, and headed to HEB hospital. Glen asked on the way, "You mind if I stop for a Dr. Pepper, it might be a long night?" I calmly and lovingly said, "Of course honey...." as I gazed out the window dreaming of holding my beautiful new baby in just a couple of hours.

We eventually got to the hospital, calmly skipped to the desk...where I told the sweet L&D nurse, "Hi, I think...ooooo...ouchy...I think I'm in labor...oop..there's another one, hehe." (smiling the whole time). She lowers her "spectacles", arches her eyebrows at me, and says, "I highly doubt it, but come on back, and we'll see." Highly offended that this "seasoned L&D nurse" had no idea how "HIGH" my pain tolerance actually was, I mean, I WAS the cheerleader who walked on a broken foot for a whole day without knowing it was even broken, I mean come on...I was tough....geeeez! I HAD to already be at an 8 or a 9 at the very least!!! So Glen and I go back, I change, and in comes "Nurse Know It All" to measure my "success at labor"..... A TWO!! Are ya kiddin me?? A T-W-O!! "Yes, dear....now take this sleeping pill, go home, and quit worrying about it, I promise you will have this baby one day!" I gulped down the sleeper, grabbed my bags & my lipstick, and cried the whole way back to the truck.

At home, we called all the relatives off... instructing them to go back to bed citing "False Alarm". I then went and sat in the empty nursery rocking my sweet baby from the inside out, and said a little prayer. By this time, the "sleeper" that "Nurse Know It All" had poked at me was starting to do its magic. I crawled into bed thinking, tearfully, it's for sure now...I will officially be pregnant for the rest of my life...but before I completely lost all consciousness.....I reached over to flip my prayer calendar for the next day, January 22nd, it read, "I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go...I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you." Genesis 28:15..... followed by....."Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." Psalm 27:14
hmmmmmmmmm...............?????....I slept like a baby for the rest of the night........

No comments: